MOBILE EMERGENCY RESPONSE SYSTEMS (MERS)
This personal tracking device can offer a safety solution to high risk victims of violence while at home or in the community 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The device has a panic button which when activated, sends a SOS signal to alert the police of the client’s location.
HOW TO APPLY
Referrals must be made through the Guelph Police Service or the Wellington OPP.
Mobile Emergency Response System (MERS) is a partnership between Victim Services Wellington and the Guelph Police Service.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
- The client must be a resident of Guelph or Wellington County.
- The client has made a complaint to police of physical violence or threats of violence.
- The victim is identified as a high risk individual with safety concerns.
- The client is willing to complete the application process including a safety plan, stay in contact with Victim Services Wellington as needed and comply with instructions concerning the operation of MERS.
- The client is willing to and does work cooperatively with the criminal justice system and follows through on criminal charges and other protection measures as suggested.
- Client must consent to share information with appropriate agencies and to be monitored for the sole purpose of her/ his safety.